Tuesday, November 18, 2008

"Do not go gentle into that good night...


Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

The title to this post is from a poem by Dylan Thomas. I remembered this from a great movie called "Back to School" from 1986 starring Rodney Dangerfield...GREAT FLICK, but the real point of the title is in relation to my last post from this past Thursday.


After venting to my readers about the sad Redskins game news, I proceeded to tell my boss and show my disappointment & then I went and talked to one of the VP's going to the game...I was respectful, polite, and sort of made light of the whole scenario, but I definitely let them know how I felt...I was not giving up hope! Check Spelling


During one of my chats, I went as far as to sing the Dolly Parton song "9 to 5" from another 80's movie, but I changed the lyrics for everyone to "Working 9 to 5, and then they take away your ticket!" Again, I was bitter, but I was trying to have a little fun with it and cheer myself up...


As luck would have it, my diligence paid off...on Friday around lunch time, I was given back my ticket to the game! I was so pumped! Come to find out both my boss and the VP spoke to the person in charge of the tickets and confirmed how unfair it was to treat employees that way & to tell us basically us right before the game after several weeks of thinking we were going...


The suite at FedEx Field was SO awesome! We were basically right on the 30 yard line and had an great view of the field. We had good food and a warm/comfy place to sit...it was super cold out, so sitting in the stands would have been bone chilling! Even though the game was a real heart breaker...I had a wonderful time and I am incredibly thankful for the opportunity that was given to me.


I will say that my company was entertaining a LARGE vendor...one that is headquartered in Austin, Texas...four letters...so that part WAS NOT FUN! I tried to be a good sport, but it was SO annoying to hear the person next to me CHEERING for the COWBOYS. I was gritting my teeth for most of the second half and by the fourth quarter it was all I could take to witness the gloating. I guess beggars can't be choosers!!!


I'm still proud of my team :)


4 comments:

Kelly A said...

I am SO glad you got to go!!

It was disappointing watching them loose....but I know we'll come back!!

Michael B said...

Thank goodness they came to their senses! The un-vite was just plain wrong!

I'm glad you had a great time, and that you were nice and warm and well-fed.

And, most importantly, way to stick up for yourself.

Love-kate

Amanda said...

That is so awsome that you were able to go! Now I'm jealous! Yeah, the result was disapointing, but it sounds like you still had a great time regardless of the l-o-s-e-r that was sitting next to you cheering the cowboys :)

jenn said...

hey!! I am happy it worked out that you got to go. I think it's shameful the way your superior was handling that, and that you had to express your displeasure with the situation for attention to even be called to it.

HELLO??? do they live under a freakin rock??? ever hear of treat people the way you want to be treated??

kudos to you for sticking up for yourself and not taking their crap amy!! STRONG BACKBONE! (btw I think it's the hattie clayburne in you.. haha and a little of brownie hayes too he is really cool and laid back-- but man, cut him off in traffic and you've unleashed pandora's box) :o) it can be a DEADLY combo I am sure.. I say your mom has super powers( like the incredible hulk) can shoot laser beams from her eyes if she gets mad enough since she is a direct descendent..:o)

HUG!!