Tuesday, September 16, 2008

You just had to go and bust my bubble...

I am a huge texter. "HUGE" in my context is probably a bit (A LOT) different than that of a teenager, but I send quite a few messages in the course of a week.

You know, sometimes you want to say HI, share some news, share something funny, or let someone know that you are thinking of them WITHOUT a full blown conversation.

I genuinely get excited when I look at my cell phone and the screen says "1 new message" with the text envelope displayed...I totally get all giddy, flip open the phone, greatly anticipating WHO the message is from and WHAT it says.

To me it is almost like getting s surprise present or something...call me boring, call me crazy, I don't really care...it is what it is.

There are certainly particular individuals that I tend to geek out over getting their texts...not that everyone isn't important, but I think you get the idea...

Anyway, last night - I happened to get a message from one of those individuals; HOWEVER, I WAS DEFINITELY NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT. Or at least I hope I wasn't...

At first I saw the persons name and I was like - cool they wrote me. Then I read the message and I was like - WTF!?!? It was some horrible complaining description of a bad call during a football game (which is also why I know this note was not for me)...it really was awful, vulgar, and condescending towards women (I know it may seem like I am overreacting, but if you read the message OR received something of this nature, I think you'd feel the same). It did provide some insight into how SOME men talk about things when females are not listening. W-O-W.

For many reasons, the note threw me for a little loop. But more importantly, I felt like someone had stolen my texting experience from me. Like my fun had been violated. I was completely irritated. I know accidents happen in our world of technology, but come on...

Aside from the sheer rudeness of the words used - do you think this is just me? OR do you feel this way when you get a message in error (email, phone call, text, etc), when it is from someone you know, but it isn't for you? You can tell me - am I just being a big baby?

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I share your excitement about text messages, I get all giddy when I receive them. But, I've never received a text by mistake but I can definitly see the disapointment and in your case, just shocked about what the message said when it was suppost to go to someone else. I guess its like a window into that persons life that you weren't expeting to look through. Wow!

jenn said...

no. I would be annoyed. I had a similar situation happen to me, only it was through email, ( only to make it FAR worse)
two of ( who I thought) were my VERY good friends were emailing back and forth ABOUT ME... turns out I had just emailed one of them, and somehow, I got Cced at copy of their banter when he thought he was replying to the other person only ( I am thinking he had a couple of windows open on his work computer and got confused)
it wasn't anything REALLY terrible it was just making fun of the way I talked and that I had married well and was what they considered very spoiled... so I guess if that is the worst they can come up with....
SO what I did was just hit reply and i CCed it to the other person talking about me and was like : NiCE!..
needless to say the 'spoiled little girl who babbles when she talks" STILL gets her butt kissed from those two, they were SO embarrassed. I immediately got apologies declaring themselves "tools". and I just said "yep yall are."
:o)

I would reply back and say " um, you sent me this.." so they can feel oh, SO stupid
I think you have every right to be annoyed because their actions affected you. BUT even though it was unintentional-- you probably should cut the person some slack I guess sometimes, the facade gets removed and you catch glimpses of people you never thought you would...

Kelly A said...

You are TOTALLY NOT over reacting.

I would have been completely irritated and annoyed too!