Monday, September 22, 2008

Trips to TARGET


I just got back to work from my luch trip to Target and I seriously need to vent.


I used to love, love, love going to Target; my bank account hated my time spent there, but I always enjoyed myself...beyond the necessities, I'd usually pick up something fun...new earrings, cute tee-shirt...


Not anymore! These days, myself and my bank account hate the trips to Target. I find myself putting them off for as long as possible. Everything just seems too darn expensive. Have I been living under a rock? When did mouthwash start costing almost $7.00??? Come on people!


I rarely go without a list these days & I try to stick to items that I need...whatever works for managing the spending right?


Today I needed detergent, coffee, deodorant, shave gel, eye cream (do what I can for the wrinkles), Drano, bubble wrap, packing tape, and I picked up a few boxes...in my head I try to keep some sort of running total...


When the cashier said $104...I almost went into cardiac arrest. I looked down and I had only two shopping bags - two - that's it and it was over $100!


The Target sign is starting to feel like a bulls eye on my back and not the fun emblem I used to associate with the cute commercials...

5 comments:

Kelly A said...

I TOTALLY know what you mean. Prices have gotten to be down right absurd....Which is exactly why I decided to take matters into my own hands and start using coupons!!!

It seems kinda silly, but it REALLY saves money!! Especially when you pair it with awesome sales!!

I basically do not pay more than about 50 cents per item for things such as makeup, shampoo and conditioner, deodorant, razors, soap, toothpaste, mouthwash etc!!

Trust me....Coupons ARE your friend!! Plus, Target has the ABSOLUTE BEST clearance of ANY store!

jenn said...

yeah.. I think the list idea is the best. just going to look around is a bad deal for me, it's too tempting to impulse buy. so I just go and get what I need and then leave. Also, I try to get razor blades, shaving cream etc all at Sam's buy in bulk dude. (wish there was a costco down here!) i am more apt to bulk buy things like that( that I know I will use) before food..

Michael B said...

I completely understand! The one way that I can stay within my "budget" is by AVOIDING Target. Lol! And, like you said, even if you've got a LIST, the prices are still insane, somehow! Every trip to that place is easily $100! : (

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Amanda said...

It sucks out there! Prices are out of control everywhere! They blaim it on the high gas prices, but when the gas prices fluxuate do the prices of everything else move, no. It just stays high. Everyone is taking advantage of everyone (Just a little rant).

SarahC said...

I use the website www.thegrocerygame.com for savings! You can sign up for CVS, Walgreens or your local grocery store. It is updated every Tuesday. It shows you which items are on sale and where to find the coupon for that sale item. You have to stock pile coupons. I have saved over $100 on one grocery store trip with coupons & sale items.