Friday, September 12, 2008

Stepping out of the comfort zone


I often times say that I'll try anything once (there is a bit of a disclaimer associated with the word "anything" BUT I think you get the point). It was probably a couple months ago that emails started circulating around the office about putting together a co-ed softball team *YAY* OR a flag football team *SCARY* We collectively took a vote and OF COURSE we had to go in the direction of flag football...


I love football - ON TV or at the stadium, FROM THE COMFORT OF MY SEAT. I so enjoy watching games...sipping on my favorite beverages, eating snacks, cheering from the SIDELINES...


Last Friday was my teams first practice. With great anticipation, I decided to attend...there were only two girls that showed up (counting me) AND even though I knew the other girl had played on a F.F. league before, I had no idea how AWESOME she would be. The very first time she ran out for a pass, she took off like a bat out of hell, hit the 10 yard mark, and took the sharpest turn I have seen to the left AND to top it all off, she successfully caught the bullet flying at her. Can you say G-R-E-A-T (sarcastic tone)??? After seeing her skill level, I was LESS than excited about running out for my pass...


I believe I dropped the first ball thrown to me, but whatever - there is always next time, right? The second time, I tried to run a little quicker & step up my game (telling myself that I can get over my fear of being hit with the ball and be as good as any other girl....). YEAH - that completely backfired when the football went right between my hands and the pointed end hit me in the temple *AWESOME* (Can you say Marsha Brady moment?). I wish I was lying...it hurt and it was so embarrassing, but I can't make this stuff up.


As I recovered from seeing stars, I really began to question my commitment to the team...maybe I am not cut out for sports where balls fly at you and you don't have a glove or a bat to deflect them...


Last night was practice number two...I don't like not being good at things...I know I can never be the best at everything, but IF I am going to be there and IF I am going to participate, I need to give it my best right?? Sometimes, you have to take your safety into your own hands...I did exactly that by WARNING all the boys about throwing bullet passes at me...who cares if they gently lob the ball to you? I sure don't. I'll get more comfortable with time...


ANYWAY, I caught a few passes last night during our team scrimmage and I ran with all I had...sort of surprised myself...I fell a couple times as my flags were being ripped off or as I was trying to get past the defense AND today I am sore as S&*% (I feel old) - my hips ache, my inner thighs are tight - even my toes hurt, but I really had a GREAT time last night...


I'll miss our first game tomorrow, but I am now looking forward to practice next week and the games the following Saturday. In all honesty, I'd still rather be playing softball, but stepping out of your comfort zone can be a good thing...I'm learning more about the game of football that I love to watch...


There is a quote that I have referenced a lot and it goes: "Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." (Henry Ford)


Sometimes the greatest lessons you can learn are from yourself :)

TGIF!!!

2 comments:

Michael B said...

Good for you, Amy!! : )

Maybe we could go to one of your games?!?!

It is really hard to step outside of your comfort zone, even softball would be a stretch for me.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Love you---

kate

Amanda said...

You go girl! It great that you are showing yourself that you can step out of that comfort zone and try new things. Who knows what will come next! Keep us posted!

Have a great weekend!