Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I have never laughed so much in one day...



Hey! It is back to civilization...I so wanted to do more posts last week while at the beach, but they just never happened...as I sit in front of a PC every day at work, I assume I must have also needed a break from the computer as well! I can't wait to read every one's blogs and catch up too :)

I do have a few stories from poor Aliyah's last day at the beach, which was a rough one for her to say the least. Dad, Josh, and Aaron had gone fishing for the day, so Brittany and I were taking Aliyah to the beach. It was a SLOW morning and we decided to head out after lunch...

#1) I told Aliyah to grab her bathing suit and sunscreen. Not to be too graphic, but it is just easier to put on the sunscreen BEFORE the bathing suit sometimes, so that is what we usually do...Aliyah meets me back in the kitchen and as she is taking off her clothes I noticed that bits of white paper were falling all over the wood floor...at first I was like *UH - WHAT IS GOING ON??* but it didn't take me too long to figure out that somehow, someone?, had left at least a GOOD ply of TP in her panties...the look on her face was certainly one of confusion as well...I couldn't help but laugh, it was impossible not to chuckle (mom and Brittany got a small laugh out of it too)...we tried to not make a HUGE deal out of it - knowing that Aliyah could start to cry at any moment...

#2) After applying the sunscreen it was time to put on the bathing suit. Well, as it was the LAST day at the beach, mom had been doing laundry out the ying-yang and had washed all of Aliyah's bathing suits...none of which had dried completely. The little peanut danced around as the cold wet bathing suit went on. Having Aliyah ready, I walked to my room to finish getting myself ready...when I walked back out to the family room I saw Brittany sitting on the couch & looking at A in SHOCK - SO, then I looked and saw white liquid running down Aliyah's legs AND a puddle on the floor...Brittany asks Aliyah what happened and A shrugged her little shoulders and looked a little scared. I couldn't help but to ask A if she had an accident...she said no AND then the light bulb came on *EUREKA* her wet bathing suit had released WATER once it was on and had subsequently sent rivers of sunscreen down Aliyah's legs and back creating a mess on the floor and all over her...AGAIN, the laughter - LAUGHTER - I was in tears by this point....we all were, well - all of us BUT Miss Aliyah - who was now hurt, embarrassed, and crying...I REALLY tried to stop laughing, but I couldn't...two incidents back to back and I was done.

#3) After this, Aliyah calms down with the help of Gram and then Britt, A, and I are off to the beach...we get up to our little boardwalk and Aliyah wanted to help carry the beach blankets...we loaded her up and she was off. Aliyah had gotten a little bit ahead of us, so Brittany called out for A to be careful and she rounded the part of the walkway where the beach shower was located (hose to wash off the sand)...right about that time Aliyah's head disappeared from sight and heard a THUD! It was a total and complete wipe-out. OMG! How much more can this child withstand in the course of an hour??? AGAIN, I was laughing...it was so hard...I felt so bad for her, but once I start laughing I can't stop very easily. It took everything within me to scoop her up and withhold my laughter in an effort to console her and make sure she was ok...

#4) Fast forward a couple hours & Mom finally came down to the beach right as we were packing up to head back to the pool. We are walking in a line: Brittany, Mom, me, then Aliyah...I look up and ahead of me, I see mom trip over this rope that was holding up a volleyball net...again, I laugh...it was just one of those days...mom didn't fall, but pointed out how graceful it would had been if she ate sand...right about that time, the light bulb came on again and I remember that poor little Aliyah is still behind me...as I turn around to tell her to be careful for the net...I see her - all fours down in the sand...somehow, someway, this poor little thing had managed to be taken out one more time!

I felt so guilty for laughing at her, but I wasn't really laughing AT HER, I was laughing about the things that happened...at different points in time I was so weak with laughter that I couldn't even walk...my eyes were so clouded with tears that I couldn't see...

How Aliyah still managed to have fun on the beach that day - I'll never know. She truly is a resilient child, which I have said for a very long time now...

2 comments:

Amanda said...

So, funny! Again, I'm not laughing at her, just at the things Aliyah had to deal with that day! Wow!

Well, welcome back! I'm glad you had a wonderful time, but you were definatly missed in our little blogger world!

Michael B said...

I love it! Aliyah is so sensitive! What a sweetheart. She'll toughen up over the years to come, and give it back to you ten-fold. Hee hee!! These stories were so cute, it sounds like vacation was so much fun!