Saturday, September 27, 2008

Getting back into the "run" of things


I am so excited!


I used to run road races somewhat regularly - 5K, 10K, 10 milers, but the last time my feet hit the pavement in a "competitive" sort of way must have been 2001 or 2002.


I have to credit the desire to get back into the race thing to my experience at the CTR 10K a little over a month ago. I made the decision NOT to run that day and only to help with registration, etc; however, the way I felt as I stood under the pavilion (ready to hand out bagels) as the runners went by to the finish line made me feel lazy, left out, and completely unchallenged.


I found myself missing the getting up early on a Saturday, feeling a little nervous, anxious, and excited...getting to the race, getting my race packet...putting on my number...I realized that it is something that I miss greatly.


I vowed that day that I would register for a race soon...something to look forward to and prepare for...start out small and work my way back up again.


So yesterday I found a upcoming 5K, sent an email to my best friend, and we are officially registered and will be running on 10/18! YAY!!!


Here is the link - if anyone out there is interested: Stoneridge 5K - it is in Loudoun County, where I am moving to & it benefits the local schools. Last year they raised over $25,000 towards local education...which is just AWESOME!


Thanks KKH & Jenn!!!!

3 comments:

jenn said...

AWESOME AMY!!!

I think running makes you feel better!! trust me I would of literally lost it had I not started back running after I had baby todd, it really has helped me deal with alot of things I had been going through. PLUS it's such a stress reliever and its YOU making time for yourself. which is so important!!
I am so excited for you! you should try to train for a marathon once things get all settled down with you... maybe we can do marine corps marathon next oct together!! or richmond in nov( which is my personal favorite because the course is easy)
SO next august you will be running the 10k!! WOOO! RAWK ON!!!

Michael B said...

Helping at a race is a great way to motivate yourself to get back into racing! I'm so excited for you, Amy!! The weather will be perfect by then! Have fun!! I hope the t-shirt is a good one. ; )

Love you lots! Hope you're feeling better!

katie

Amanda said...

Good luck with the run! Keep us posted!