Monday, May 19, 2008

Blood is thicker than water...

or so the saying goes...

I don't tend to think that I'm OLD AND WISE by any stretch of the imagination...I look forward to all of the life lessons that I have yet to learn - well, most of them anyway...I'm sure that there are some I'd rather do without, BUT>

What I have learned and something that I have said for a long time is that you can't pick your family - you are just kind of stuck with them and they are stuck with you (sorry, but it is true :))...sometimes the ONLY similarity is buried deep down within the genetic make-up that is flowing within our bodies and that is EXACTLY where any and all commonalities STOP! If it were only about friendship, and the ties that bind were not involved - who knows???

Earlier today I was reflecting on two (well three actually) family members that I am so very thankful for...I would say that our relationship really started to grow and evolve into more back when I was in high school and I'd go over to their house after softball practice to tan for prom (LOL)...what I'm sure we all thought would be daily 20 minute visits *ALWAYS* turned into much, much more.

Fast forward to ten years later: twice in the last week I have given them a call to come over in the evening to once again *borrow* some fake sun and the experience immediately takes me back to high school...except now instead of asking about boyfriends or the baby that's on the way (them not me BTW!) we are discussing paint colors for the wall...

I so cherish the time with them...whenever I find out that we are doing something with these three *SPECIAL* people - I always get genuinely excited...I love going over to their house because it is a home away from home; I'm not necessarily talking about four walls, but more so the beauty of their spirits that you feel immediately...I love our conversations, cracking jokes, making fun of each other...the understanding and the unconditional love...

This post makes me think of my favorite part of "The Grinch":

"And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so?

It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags.

And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore.

Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before.

What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store.

What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.”

I think what I'm trying to say is: one lesson I am thankful for realizing - is that *sometimes* you find the best friendships and life's largest blessings if you look a little closer at what has been there all along :)

I could never really wrap my arounds around thanking these three for all that they are to me, but all I can say is **THANK YOU**!

3 comments:

Kelly A said...

What a GREAT post Amy!! I got a bit emotional! I LOVE the Grinch!! :)

You have to cherish all of the ones you love most. The times spent together, the memories made. It scares me how fast time is going by.

I hope you have a wonderful week and are enjoying your new job!!! :)

Amanda said...

Bravo! You hit it right on the head. I couldn't have put it better myself. What a wonderful post!

Michael B said...

So sweet, Amy.

I am so thankful that you are so happy right now.

Love, Love.