Wednesday, April 9, 2008

You find the best people in the smallest places!

For all the pics from the trip click here!!
A view of Millwood Lake from the deck @ Dave & Shelia's Restaurant


The trip to Arkansas was awesome! I had a wonderful time visiting with my aunt Angie, her husband Mike, and Vincent (my cousin)...it was just so cool to actually go and see where they live and meet all of their friends/family there.
Mike and Angie

It is strange to me when people close to you move away and you feel like you no longer know what is going on with them; even though you talk, there is a curiosity about so many things...and your brain runs wild finding images to associate with what the town looks like, where they work, what their house looks like, who their new friends are, etc and it is entertaining to see either how close or how far off your created images actually are...now when Angie and I talk and share stories I'll know what is going on!

This guy was awesome!

Ashdown has a population of about 4,800 people - very small in every sense of the word!


On Friday night we got ready and headed over to the country club to meet up with all of their friends and rode in golf carts to the restaurant on the lake...we ordered great food - fried pickles - yummy! I met so many wonderful, good, genuine, down to earth, FUN people - who are surprisingly so happy to meet you & they instantly make you feel like you are home. I understand why Mike and Angie love it there...


Saturday was also a completely NEW experience for me as I have never been to a golf tournament - ever! I was not playing, but I drove the cart, cheered them on, and took pics all day...it was so much fun & about half-way through I got the itch to play - big time, but I stuck to my duties...I got a tad bit bored over the course of the *18 holes* and at times had outbursts...Bruce (Mike's friend) told Angie that they needed to get me some A.D.D. medicine, which I thought was hysterical!

On the golf course - the two teams we hung with in Saturday

Saturday night a big group of us went out in Texarkana to two different places; they wanted to make sure that I saw everything possible, which I totally appreciated! I also got to meet Angie's best friend Shawna from Ashdown, I had heard so much about her & she really is a special person :)



Sunday we lounged - finally! Angie, Vincent and I went to Texarkana (15 min drive) for lunch and shopping and then later that evening Angie drove me around the town of Ashdown...no substantial new building has occurred there since the late 70's at best with the exception of a bank, super Wal-mart, and the SONIC...I finally tried SONIC (three times at that)!

This is the courthouse where Angie works

The trip itself and my time there was so what I needed...it was a great visit and I can't wait to get back! We left one another with tears at the airport and the excitement of catching up again in Memphis...she is my aunt by nature, but one of my dearest friends by design :) Love you!!!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful visit!

Kelly A said...

I am so glad you had a nice trip...besides the traveling!!!

Isn't it awesome when you meet great/friendly people??!! I love the south!

I think that golf carts are the BEST part of golf!! I have had a blast in them:)

Melis B said...

Sounds like you had a blast~thanks for sharing. :)