Wednesday, April 2, 2008

You can't teach an old dog new tricks...





This is a story about Bailee, but the title of the post is more directed at me...

Bailee and I have a semi-normal routine in the morning; sometimes he gets up when I go down to fix coffee, he goes out to potty & then he runs directly back to bed...sometimes he stays in bed, under the covers until I tell him it's time to go "bye-bye."

This morning everything was the same as usual, until I decided to try something *different*...running a little behind & not really thinking, as he and I left the house and stepped down into the garage I thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and hit the button to raise the garage door...

What usually happens when we go to the garage is Bailee goes to the passenger's side door and waits patiently for me to open the car, I set my bags in the seat, I lift him up into the seat, hit the garage door opener in my car, shut his door, walk around to my side & then we are off...Bailee can't really be trusted to stay in the yard, so he is always on a leash at home and precautions are taken to ensure that he does not have the opportunity to run off...


This morning upon seeing the garage door open out of order, the little rascal decided to BOLT out of the door...I stood there for a second in shock...I quickly put my bags down...ran under the garage door in my high heels...and I could see him NO WHERE! I kicked off my heels and took off running through the yard - calling his name...


This was taken after one of the ice storms, but gives you an idea of the view from my front yard & why it is so scary when he runs off...


About half-way around the house, not seeing him anywhere, in any direction, I started to have a *panic attack* My baby is so little, he blends in with the wooded areas, and I was freaking out! I burst into tears, grabbed my chest - with thoughts of not having any shoes on (how was I going to run in the woods - what would happen if I went inside for shoes), needing to call for help, being extremely late for work, most importantly losing Bailee - he is my security blanket - it really is amazing how quickly that many thoughts can run through your mind...

I paused and told myself I had to pull it together if I was going to find him and as I turned around I saw his little head barely sticking up way out in the front yard by the road...still so choked up that I couldn't really talk, I cautiously walked out to him & told him it was time to go "bye-bye." He had a look of sheer terror on his face because he knew he had messed up...thankfully he decided to run back to the garage and wait for me...

I got to my parents and dad was outside...I'm still trying to hold it together and he asks "How's Bailee this morning" and there I went - just burst into tears again...dad walks up quickly to hug me and ask what is wrong...I told him the story...then got in the house, saw mom & started crying again!

I got a tissue, calmed down, and kissed Bailee a bunch of times...

I told mom and dad that I don't know what would happen if I was out and lost sight of my child...I can't imagine that reacting this same way would be helpful...they both laughed at me, gave me hugs and I was off...

I know that there are other things going on to cause me to be this emotional - As I sit here at my desk with my eyes feeling heavy & tummy still a little nauseous, I am amazed by what a toll this sort of experience takes on your body physically...
I think I learned a lesson this morning to not change the routine...there is no reason to take unnecessary *risks*!



6 comments:

SarahC said...

I am so sorry to hear about your crummy morning! It is scary when your baby runs from you and you have no clue where they are! Thank goodness Murphy is large and white and you can see him no matter what! Chase on the other hand is quick and does love to run! He ran from me in a restaurant one time and was hiding in the bar. Scared the poo out of me!!! He needs one of those kiddy harnesses. Hope the rest of your day is better than this morning and remember routines are very important.

Kelly A said...

Oh no. I am so sorry about your morning:( I can only imagine how you were feeling.

What a lucky dog to have a "mommy" who loves him so much!!

Amanda said...

Oh what a horrible way to start your morning! At least Balie was safe when you did find him. I hope your day is going much smoother now!

The Sweet Family said...

Sorry to hear about your morning. I am glad Bailee is safe and you made it to work.

Try to have a nice evening of snuggling with Bailee!

Hugs,
Sweet

Jamie said...

So sorry to hear about this morning with Bailee, hopefully your day has gotten better. Bailee really is a lucky dog to have you.

As for 'Moms" loosing sight of their kids it amazes me everyday the different reactions some people have. The ones that really piss me off are the ones that start yelling at their kids. Like it their fault they lost them. Working in retail I am faced with lost kids on a daily basis. Some times I find myself as upset as the kids. So though I haven't lost my kids anywhere but in the house, I know exactly how you felt this morning. I am so sorry you had to start your day out like that.

Hope you're having a much better day. I am sorry this comment is so long.
Take Care,
~Jamie

summertyme said...

I have not "lost" my child yet, but I have lost my dogs several times. I feel your pain! And I can tell you that when my child so much as sneezes I feel like I am going to have a panic attack. They do make drugs for this, right??? LOL