Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Truman Show...

Question to my fellow bloggers...

Does it catch you off guard when someone remarks to you about one of your posts? More so when they don't start the conversation, with "I was reading your blog and..." But when they just start talking to you and you are like -UM, how do you know that??? You get to look at them sort of dumbfounded while the 1+1=2 adds up in your head...


Isn't it odd not knowing everyone that checks your blog on a regular or semi-regular basis? All you do is watch the numbers go up! :) BUT, the element of the unknown is also intriguing...


On Sunday someone made a comment to me like"Oh, is that your new camera that you were excited about?" And I had to stop and think if I had told them about it in passing...then I realized - wait - they probably read my post!!!


Or if I stop to tell mom a story and she says "I know, I read about it..." Then I don't know what to share and what not to share...did she read today's and not yesterdays post? Do I start telling her anyway and let her stop me if she knows?


If you have a blog, and you read others blogs - then it is like this little community of people that you know are checking in. Some of them you know & some you have never met...yet you feel like you know them very well from reading their blogs, which is also weird and *FUN*! Of course you can tell a few others that stop in by occasional anonymous comments...


Maybe I'm just weird, but it kind of makes me feel like I'm on a TV show that I can't watch :) Probably should have thought about this before December 2007! It isn't that I mind...it is just an odd realization that you have put your life on *blast* to the world; however, big or small that world may be!


DON'T STOP READING ~ this is just food for thought!!! I'm curious if this is just me...

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Well actually, I had the same thoughts before I started to blog. I never really got the concept of a blog, but I kept reading my SIL and thought, maybe I should just dive in (which I did in Jan).

It is weird that information is put out there and hope for family/friends to check in and hope that you make new friends along the way.

But, your comparison to the Truman show is right on!

Also, keep reading my blog too :) Its like you said, its food for thought!

The Sweet Family said...

Funny . . last week my husband heard from a friend in Winchester which he hasn't heard from in a year and his first remark was about my son wearing a VA Tech jersey? I said, how the hell did he know that (He and my son love WVU). Then my hubby said, you know your webpage. I then said, my BLOG!

I love your comparison to the Truman Show!

I find I spend more time "checking in" on fellow bloggers before checking my email.

Have a great day and GREAT POST!!! ~i'll keep reading~ ;o)

Kelly A said...

I can totally relate to what you are saying. You never fully know who is reading your blog. I get more comments from people I hardly know that my close family and friends. I guess you just have to be into and comfortable with the whole blogging thing.

I find it so rewarding to read other people's blogs. Just knowing that you're not alone on some of your thoughts and feeling makes a huge difference for me. I have learned many valuable life lessons in all of the blogs I read!!

I do have to admit though....I have (on quite a few occasions) purposely not posted about something simply because of some of the people who I know are reading. In those instances I write but don't post!!!

I looking forward to reading my favorite blogs everyday!!

Michael B said...

Blogging is such a crazy phenomenon isn't it? I do love it and I enjoy looking back on what we were doing at this time last year.

I also love that I know what is going on with you! Our quick dinners just aren't long enough to catch up on all of the daily happenings.

My mom is definitely a reader and hangs onto each and every post and picture, which is so sweet.

I'm so glad you started one...and I definitely check in on your blog everyday!