Thursday, April 24, 2008

Encounters of the NIGHT!

I stopped by to pick up Bailee (a daily trend) a little later last night (after dark) and headed home (a short drive)...Bailee ALWAYS goes directly to the front door when we get home (the whole routine thing) to go potty or just to be nosey about what is going on outside and bark at nothing (his favorite past time)...

Last evening was incredibly beautiful so I decided to sit out there with him & soak up the break from the rain...

The front of my house has a covered patio of sorts and I was minding my own business on the top step when I saw something that looked like a bird swoop down in the yard...

I thought - well, it is sort of random to see a bird fly that low this late, but whatever...

Then the *bird* swooped back down a second time & a little closer to the patio, the front light, and ME...

I thought - well, that does not look like a *bird*, but more like a *BAT* BUUUTTTTT whatever, I'm sure it won't bother me...

Then before I could hardly process the previous thought, the *BAT* swooped around AGAIN, for the third time, and came under the patio, past my head, and then back out grazing the top of my hair...

Needless to say, I completely freaked out! I jumped up and ran down the steps, down the sidewalk, waving my arms erratically in the air - after I somewhat regained composure, I turned around & saw that the coast was clear and darted for the front door...panicked that the BAT would circle back and follow me in, I left Bailee outside...

Being that I grew up in the sticks, and have had this sort of experience at my parents in years passed, I guess I should have known better i.e. known that they WILL COME CLOSER THAN PREFERRED!

Anyway, I left Bailee outside for a few to fend for himself (barking incessantly the entire time), and then decided to turn off all the lights before letting him in the house...he was not happy with me as I'm pretty sure I spooked him with my outburst in the front yard, but I was not giving that bat another chance...the fourth time may have caused cardiac arrest :)

I can't imagine posting a picture with this post b/c the darn things are SO ugly and it freaks me out at this point to see one!

4 comments:

The Sweet Family said...

OMG....LMAO....I hate bats so much. I would have rather seen pics of you running off the porch. ~smile~

Amanda said...

Blah! Bats give me the heebee geebie's. I can so picture you running through the yard, throwing your arms around, hair flinging everywhere defending yourself. I guess you won't be sitting out there tonight ;)

Kelly A said...

I am laughing so hard right now! I so have a mental picture of what you looked like and know I would have looked the same!!

Yucky Bats:)

Melissa said...

ewwww bats are gross!