Monday, March 24, 2008

"Hi, this is AMY..."


The title of this post is what I typically say EVERY TIME I answer the phone at my desk, unless I know it is a friend, etc. I even say this when I recognize a customer's number on the screen...


I have a customer located in the Raleigh Durham, NC area - I also have a cousin that lives and works there...you can probably see where this is going...


I just happened to be texting my cousin and the customer at the same time this afternoon...


I received and out of office response from my customer and about five minutes later my phone rings and I see the FAMILIAR (919) area code flash...I assume it is the cousin, and knowing that he had a WILD weekend, I answer the phone as follows:


ME: Hey, are you still breathing?

COUSIN?: Um, I sure hope so.

ME: GASP...(I don't recognize the voice)

COUSIN?: Do you even know who this is?

ME: OMG! Um, no...

CUSTOMER: This is Bob so and so with XXXXX, I just got your email and blah, blah, blah...


This is someone that I DO NOT talk to on a regular basis, but luckily he was laughing and completely understood when I told him the story and explained why I answered the phone so unprofessionally...


I had written him about a fax that I was waiting on & he proceeded to tell me that he sent it back on 03/20, which was last Thursday and sure enough I found it ON THE FAX when I actually got up to check...so then I get to say WOOPSIE, I had it the entire time!


I'm sure his faith in my abilities is even more confirmed now!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

OMG! I can relate on this one! Sometimes I *think* I recognize the number and I still answer the phone with the formal greeting since you never know. At least the guy on the other end was a good sport!

Jamie said...

Opps..Oh well those things happen sometimes at least the guy was understanding.Glad to hear you had a great Easter with the family.

I wanted to answer you ?'s you asked me last week in your comment but wasn't sure where to answer ya. So here it is Joe and I are originally both from California but we moved to VA back in 99'.We lived in Ashburn up until Sep 05' when we moved out here to Winchester. We really like it out here but we are so used to everything in Ashburn.We do visit there quite often and some of our Dr's are still even there.

Hope you have a good week.
Take Care,
~Jamie

Kelly A said...

OMG.....That is hysterical!!! Those situations make the best stories!!

I am glad it all worked out though!

I am so glad you had a nice Easter!! Enjoy the rest of your week:)

Melis B said...

You are so funny, I can totally relate. I wish sometimes you could answer your work phone however you were feeling at that moment~wouldn't that be fun!! :)

Have a good one!!
~Melis