Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Putting things in perspective...


When I got in my car to leave on my daily commute, I noticed that the windshield in my (still to me) new car is nicely cracked about 8 inches on the drivers side. I remember a rock hitting it so hard on the way home last night that I jumped in my seat, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised, BUT nonetheless - with the crack being in my line of sight, I was somewhat distracted the entire way in with thoughts of trying to figure out if it was growing, having to replace the "new" windshield, contacting the insurance company, $$$, etc...I kept telling myself "Amy, it's a piece of glass - do not let it change your view of this day."

I got a big wake up call when I was in the break room getting a fresh cup of coffee when the HR director told me she got an email from my boss...My boss started here in November of 2006 and at that time we knew his daughter MacKenzie was right in the midst of a battle with brain cancer. With many treatments over the course of the last year, MacKenzie seemingly had a "clean bill of health" - cautiously stated...last fall. Recently, in a follow-up appointment the doctors at Johns Hopkins noticed that there was "something" in the same area of her tumor and they weren't sure what it was. The doctors believe it is a cyst and the poor little thing will require surgery again. This morning I was told that the growth is now twice the size that it was when they first discovered its appearance a few weeks ago...

This is MacKenzie's website:

http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/inputSiteName.do?method=search&siteName=mackenziestuck

MacKenzie has got to have an amazingly strong spirit for such a young, beautiful child...I ask you to keep her and the Stuck family in your thoughts and prayers...her surgery is scheduled for tomorrow...I believe strongly in the power of postive thinking and the more dedicated towards the same person the better...

Thank you so much :)

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Thanks for the post! Its hard to put things into perspective when you are in your own "world" and then realize you are lucky. My thoughts and prayers to MacKenzie and her family.