Thursday, February 28, 2008

Hairdresser or Butcher Shop?


I had this girl, Rita, who did my hair for about two years, WHO I LOVED, and all of a sudden she peaced out last fall. As many of you women can probably relate, this resulted in a bit of a freak out on my part when I called to make an appointment and was told my precious stylist was M.I.A. We were "tight" or so I thought - we talked the entire time, I knew what was going on with her and vice versa, so naturally, I felt like we had broken up or something with no notice!


Since that dreaded day, I have been seeing someone else at the shop...the first time I was very nervous and swore that I returned to work with a MULLET! Many of you remember getting that text message from me and a pic that day. Well, basically out of mere convenience, I decided that the cut wasn't that bad and that I'd go back...so I have been for the last few months and things have gotten better (with the cut anyway)...we don't talk, we aren't friends - I'M NOT READY TO MOVE ON, so I tell her what I want, she works & I read...


After I built some confidence in her, I had her cut this nifty little doo where the back was shorter than the front, which I *liked* for the most part - laid funny at times, but I decided that could be my fault for not drying it properly, trying to give her the benefit of the doubt. She says she has been doing hair for 15 years; needless to say, I am not convinced. The only thing I do know is that they like to charge me A LOT for her services:) ANYWAY, back to the stroy - once you have put an angle like that in your hair, it's a bit difficult to go back to one length, which is where today took me...


Again, little to no talking today. We confirm color, I tell her I want to *fix* my hair length and again I read. She had to chop off a couple inches from the front...SO, instead of returning to work claiming that I had a mullet, today I am saying that I look like a BOY! I know I'll get used to it, it is what I asked for, and it will grow out, BUT it still makes me sad...where oh where did my wonderful girl go? How can I find her? HELP!


To top it all off, this lady INSISTS on parting my hair to the WRONG side every time, which makes me want to SCREAM! I like to compare this part of the experience to hearing nails on a chalkboard...I'm like - look - you don't have that much to remember, you write down my color, we discuss the cut - so if you can't either A) remember the right side after this long B) notice what side it is on when I walk in C) Observe that I change it EVERY TIME - right in front of you - than you better A) WRITE IT DOWN or B) ASK ME EVERY TIME!!!!!


I'm sure some of you are saying - quit your moaning and find someone else, and I think I need to...it is just the starting all over part again that SUCKS - real bad...what if the next person is worse? Seriously, how much more negative could I be?? :)


PS - the new stylist says to me today "wow, you study A LOT - every time you are here you are reading." I returned with a laugh, but what I really wanted to say is that I MISS RITA and I've had better conversations with a ROCK than with you!

8 comments:

The Sweet Family said...

Oh I can relate honestly! I will have to email you my horror story from last year when I moved away after the same person had done my hair for over 3 years. As for the part of the hair, whenever I go now, I always say, I part my hair on the left; wouldn't you know it, the hairdresser goes to the right! It ticks me off too!!! It think your hair looks adorable.

Michael B said...

you've got to try a place in winchester, L. L. McKee. It's in Creekside. I love my stylist, she's a sweetheart. The other girls are really good, too. Especially the owner...Melissa B and I have convinced Nikki to switch. She said that she really liked it, it's cheaper than her other place, AND she's going back. My girl always asks, which side....

They have a website...you should google it.

And, most importantly, your hair looks ADORABLE. I love it. I bet it feels so healthy!! You have the fastest growing hair of anyone I know, so it'll be long again in no time!!

Love you!

Amanda said...

Your hair looks great! You might not see it yet, but its cute! I am always worried that my hair dresser will close shop (she works out of her home and has her own company), so I can definitely relate to the anxiety of your hair worries! Take Care!

Jamie said...

I can completely relate. I had a stylist who had been doing my hair for about two years who I loved. Then one night she came into my work to inform me that she was moving across the country.Totally shocked and freaked who is going to cut my hair now? I've only got my hair cut once since then and was not impressed.That was in October 07. I really need to find some one but I am a total freak about my hair.
Best of luck on finding a new stylist. Your hair really does look good. Also I found ya via Melis B.Love your blog....
~Jamie

Anonymous said...

This is why I have done my own hair for years! At least you don't look like your Uncle Riley who comes home from hair cuts appearing to have just had Chemo therapy! Even my mother who would not say a bad word ever about him, leaned over to me once and said, please don't let him go back to the same barber again! He had his hair cut by a "hairdresser' for the first time the other day, once he got over the shock that the price was more than $4.95 and he would HAVE to leave a tip, he admitted he really liked the cut and we ALL agree he looks much better! :)
I love your cut, it's cute!

SarahC said...

You are too funny Watts! I have the angel bob too! I love it being short, so much easier to style in the am. I think your hair looks cute! I hear ya on the pain in the @$$ to find a hairstylist you love. They are very hard to find. Thank god I figured out my neighbor was a hairdresser and not a drug dealer. I wondered for a year why people were coming and going all the time over there. If you have been to your stylist several times and you are still unhappy then you will probably continue to be unhappy. Ask around and see where other people are going, but make sure you like that persons hair;)
Can't wait to see you tomorrow night!

Melis B said...

I love the photo, your hair is adorable!!

Anonymous said...

Okay, so 1) Your hair looks adorable, so stop worrying! You don't by any means look like a boy! and 2) I totally know how you are feeling though, I did just try some place new though and I do think you would like the place. The girls are good, the shop is adorable, and most importantly I can guarantee you it is CHEAPER! It's in Winc. though and I don't know if that would work for you, but I do think you would like it! It's LL McKee, my girl is Dawn, the owner Lisa is supposed to be great too! Good luck! Luv you.

Nik