Thursday, February 28, 2008
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
They are currently taking pre-orders in order to get a feel for how many they should order.
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
This accident happened in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area and you must listen to it. It's a phone call from a man who witnesses a car accident involving four elderly women.
It was so popular when they played it on CHUM FM, they had to put it on their website.
The guy's laugh is contagious.
Just close your eyes and picture what he sees.
Monday, February 25, 2008
As I have shared in the past, the experience of attending Todd's memorial service is one that I will never forget. In the midst of such grief and loss, there was such a sincere celebration of the person that he was. It was amazing to see the number of lives that he touched as I sat in the funeral home the night of the viewing and watched his family receive guests for well over seven hours...never a break in the line that wrapped through the home and down the street...I gazed at the incredible strength of his parents and siblings as they were each determined to shake the hand of and listen to the story of every single visitor. Seeing the family, friends, and co-workers who had literally traveled from all across the country to pay their respects was incredible and has touched my life forever.
The family has done some really wonderful things to ensure that Todd's memory go on; his sister Jenny has organized a 10k memorial race in Abingdon, Virginia on 08.16.2008 with all proceeds going to the Christopher Todd Richardson Memorial Scholarship.
Runner's World Link
For my own personal reasons, I could not imagine not being there to participate, but I wanted to share this with you...just in case...
Here is some additional information on the area & stuff to do, recommended by Jenny:
Martha Washington Inn
(great spa w/salt water swimming pool & ghost tour)
Virginia Highlands Festival
(great food and atmosphere)
Withers Hardware Restuarant
(good food and atmosphere)
Healing Waters Day Spa
Highlands Outdoor Store
Virginia's Creeper Trail
Friday, February 22, 2008
"If the only prayer you ever say in your life is thank you, it will be enough."
Meister Eckhart (1260-1320)
Bright and early this morning I received a text message from my BFF saying good morning, asking about the weather and confirming our plans for tonight...
Before I left, I got a call from a special person - basically just to say - drive safe and have a good morning...
When walking out of the house, my little Bailee just looked at me with his big brown eyes and upon hearing my *high-pitched* nick name for him, flopped over on his back for a tummy rub from "mom"
When I was dropping Bailee off, my dad was standing outside watching me come up the last slippery stretch of the driveway & he was smiling and laughing...As the boo kissed him, I teased dad about how his hair looked like Bail's...I don't think he had combed it yet :) He graciously took Bailee inside for me after we told one another to have a great day...
As I crossed over Paris Mountain, I gazed at the beautiful valley and this wonderful feeling of thankfulness came over me. I'm not crazy by any stretch, but I found myself saying it out loud as if to confirm the feelings within...being grateful is so healing and even as I sit here and type this, my gratitude feels too large to wrap my arms around!
Be blessed on this day that is a gift and have a fantastic weekend!!!
"Better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness."
Thursday, February 21, 2008
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Try digging for your cell in your purse when you are holding it in your hand - Racing, yes I said *racing* my car against some guy, off the line (HA!) in Winchester when he started revving up his Subaru next to me at a traffic light...when he slammed on the gas and his GIANT muffler roared at me and I stuck it to him (I mean, WHAT WAS I THINKING??) - I repeatedly pushed the WRONG buttons at the ATM until it told me that the transaction had timed out (I'm sure even a monkey can figure out that after you push a series of buttons the first time and it doesn't work, it probably isn't going to work the second time) - I spilled my soda all over my precious fleece when trying to sit in the theatre seat - then missed getting the popcorn in my mouth *MULTIPLE* times & nearly kicked the entire bag of corn over - caught it though...please note, this was ALL before the movie even started!
I am starting to think that I should not be let out in public after 7pm - it is just not safe :)
Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Bob, a handsome dude, walked into a sports bar around 9:58 PM. He sat down next to a blonde at the bar and stared up at the TV. The 10:00 PM news was coming on. The news crew was covering a story of a man on a ledge of a large Building preparing to jump.
The blonde looked at Bob and said, "Do you think he'll jump?" Bob says, "You know, I bet he'll jump." The blonde replied, "Well, I bet he won't." Bob placed a $20 bill on the bar and said, "You're on!"
Just as the blonde placed her money on the bar, the guy on the ledge did a swan dive off the building, falling to his death.The blonde was very upset, but willingly handed her $20 to Bob, saying, "Fair's fair. Here's your money."
Bob replied, "I can't take your money, I saw this earlier on the 5 PM news and so I knew he would jump."
The blonde replied, "I did too; but I didn't think he'd do it again."
Bob took the money.
Monday, February 18, 2008
Friday, February 15, 2008
When L. Frank Baum wrote The Wonderful Wizard of Oz back in 1899, he probably had no idea it would've become as popular as it did. And, how did he come up with the name Oz in the first place? Most folks believe that as Baum was telling his story to children on of them asked what the name of his fantasyland was called. Baum hesitated for a moment and then as he looked across the room his eyes landed on a filing cabinet whose two drawers were labeled A-N and O-Z...the rest is history!
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
But...and wouldn't you known there's always a "but," "Fred" as she'd named her tumour back in '05 is back - SSDD. So that moves her out of the "standard risk" category, to the "high-risk" category.
We won't really know what the plan is for several days as its dependent on complete pathology of the tumor, the spinal MRI & spinal fluid analysis, but suffice it to say she'll probably be in the hospital recoverying from surgery for a few more days & then its on to heavier chemo than before, likely to be followed by a bone marrow transplant, etc so looking like 9-12 months of treatment. Many of the possible treatment paths can be accomplished at Hopkins but temporary relocation for her & my wife is certainly a possibility.
As I shared yesterday I plan to be working from Baltimore as long as she's in the hospital.
Additionally, I will probably need to re-evaluate travel plans for the duration of her treatment, dependent on chemo cycles.
Will keep you appraised of further developments, but of course my wife has resumed consistent updates on CaringBridge where the most realtime info will always be:
Sue & I generally don't see the need for much privacy in this regard as increasing awareness of Pediatric Cancer is the main way to drive the funding & development of new treatments.
Please feel free to share this information with anyone who is interested.
I bought a pair of rain boots back in October for a rainy camping trip over Halloween weekend, that in hindsight - I should have never been on; good times - ha! ANYWAY, at least I got my fantastic multi-purpose shoes out of it...there is always a silver lining!
The ones I bought are Sporto and they are lined with some comfy cushioning...perfect for days like today and many days over the last few months. I'm rockin the plaid!
I am a HUGE FAN of Vitamin Water; I just love it. I thought I had tried every flavor, but maybe they are coming out with new ones b/c today I found "Rescue - Green Tea" at 7-11 and it is YUMMY! Not super sweet & chalk full of vitamins (uh, hence the name - I know - you can thank me for pointing out the OBVIOUS!)
Big Sexy Hair Root Pump - Root Volumizer is simply great! I love this stuff for my hair-doo...you can find it lots of places (Target, Trade Secret, Salons)...it's great for pumpin up the volume...just takes a little to get CRAZY! JK...Hehe!
Lastly, my BFF and I are big fans of Josh Kelley and his new album Special Company just "dropped" (I feel really cool - JK!). He is married Katherine Heigel (you'd have to live under a rock to not know who she is i.e. Grey's Anatomy, 27 Dresses, Knocked Up) & they are so cute. Seriously though, he is super talented and if you like Jack Johnson, John Mayer, Howie Day, etc - you'll lurve this guy too!
Lots of Love! Enjoy!
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
When I got in my car to leave on my daily commute, I noticed that the windshield in my (still to me) new car is nicely cracked about 8 inches on the drivers side. I remember a rock hitting it so hard on the way home last night that I jumped in my seat, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised, BUT nonetheless - with the crack being in my line of sight, I was somewhat distracted the entire way in with thoughts of trying to figure out if it was growing, having to replace the "new" windshield, contacting the insurance company, $$$, etc...I kept telling myself "Amy, it's a piece of glass - do not let it change your view of this day."
I got a big wake up call when I was in the break room getting a fresh cup of coffee when the HR director told me she got an email from my boss...My boss started here in November of 2006 and at that time we knew his daughter MacKenzie was right in the midst of a battle with brain cancer. With many treatments over the course of the last year, MacKenzie seemingly had a "clean bill of health" - cautiously stated...last fall. Recently, in a follow-up appointment the doctors at Johns Hopkins noticed that there was "something" in the same area of her tumor and they weren't sure what it was. The doctors believe it is a cyst and the poor little thing will require surgery again. This morning I was told that the growth is now twice the size that it was when they first discovered its appearance a few weeks ago...
This is MacKenzie's website:
MacKenzie has got to have an amazingly strong spirit for such a young, beautiful child...I ask you to keep her and the Stuck family in your thoughts and prayers...her surgery is scheduled for tomorrow...I believe strongly in the power of postive thinking and the more dedicated towards the same person the better...
Thank you so much :)
Monday, February 11, 2008
Today is only Monday and I feel like I have set myself up for trying to conquer seven days worth of stuff in one!
Call me crazy, but on occasion I like and enjoy the stress and pressure that comes along with having a lot to do, last minute planning, procrastination, etc. but today I practically bit off more than I can chew :)
"If you want a thing done well, do it yourself."
The morning started off with attempting to get up at 5:00am to study for my first exam this Thursday; however, that did not happen! I took a LONG nap yesterday afternoon (I was only woken up b/c of Bailee scratching incessantly on the side of the couch to go out to the potty) ergo I could not go to sleep last night until midnight!
I brought in my Valentine's cards today and forgot address labels and stamps SO I made address labels @ work...yes, they pay me a lot to do personal things during the day - SHHH!
I had a luncheon for a co-worker's birthday at 12:30, a personal appointment at 1:30 and between the two I had to run by Costco and get a cake and chips for a baby shower I co-hosted at the office @ 2:30...I made it to lunch, left early, ran to Costco - freaked out at the check-out thinking that I left my debit card at the restaurant...I finally located my precious piece of plastic as I was paying with check (in my head plays the VISA commerical - the one with everyone in New Orleans and "The Saints Go Marching in" playing in the background - everyone is all happy & then all of a sudden the music stops b/c some "IDIOT" had to write a check)...I rushed back to work and dropped off the cake, got to my desk and saw my V-day cards and was quickly reminded that I forgot to get stamps (one more thing I was going to cram into my hour lunch break!) and then my cell rings for my next appointment...go back to the car...figure out my life in about 20 minutes (THANK GOD), run back to the office - take off my coat & then run to the conference room to set up for the party...
Um...what was I thinking? In reality, I am the ONLY one that knows how much I scheduled for myself today, but seriously - I'm thinking it is not best to start off the week like this!!! I have referenced Napoleon Bonaparte, but I think today has been a bit more like a Dynamite experience!
And to top it all off, clearly I am still boycotting doing actual work (I am writing this!) as my inbox has grown beyond belief in all my absence from my desk…and I just want to go home already!
Friday, February 8, 2008
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
This has really thrown me for a loop because I never, ever get sick - so two times in less than a month kind of has me wondering what is going on. I willingly called out sick yesterday after I spent the first half of the 6 o'clock hour (AM) bringing back up what I ate the day before and the second half of the 6 o'clock hour cleaning up what did not make it to its final resting place - TMI - I know!!! Those are the times that you stop and really appreciate your parents and what they did for you :)
I am back at work today, feeling less than 100%, but there was no earthly way I was going to call out four days in the course of one month...it is about 4:15pm and all I can think about right now are my PJ's and my comfy bed that are calling my name...
P.S. It's really nice & encouraging to hear that all day yesterday it was said by co-workers that I had the "Super Bowl Flu"...don't you hate how everyone is so quick to discount the fact that someone really might be ill, curled up in a ball at home, feeling like they are about to meet their maker, and WISHING - YES, actually WISHING that they felt well and were at WORK???!!!!
Sunday, February 3, 2008
We took the girls and my cousin to Chuckie Cheese on Saturday...I think we had the same idea as everyone else in NOVA because CC was an absolute mad house! I now know what it feels like to be in an ant farm!
I laughged so much yesterday & mostly at my poor dad...he is such a trooper! Dad has a bit of trouble hearing; I've learend that if we're in a busy, crowded, or loud setting - he just can't differentiate between sounds...one thing has his undivided hearing attention and everything else falls by the wayside.
Picture him in sitting in the middle of a vehicle with SEVEN other people (he was in the row with the two girls - both under 5), with multiple conversations going on, and Peter Pan playing through the speaker system and all hopes of talking to him are off! I felt a bit like I was sitting on the shore and trying to communicate with him in a sound proof container at the bottom of the ocean...it just wasn't happening!
Needless to say, there was an awful lot of "Doug, DOUG?!" and "Dad, DAD?!" and "Pop-pop, POP-POP?!" going back and forth in the car...followed by a "huh?" or a "what?" or a "were you talking to me?" There was just so much going on in that car...
I think Aliyah knows that Pop-pop can't hear very well, but Ashlin is too little to get it & she was sitting right beside dad - so every time she wanted to tell him something, her little voice would just get louder and louder until Dad heard her..."earpane" - nothing - "Earpane!" - nothing - "EARPANE!!!" and finally dad says "what?" followed by another "EARPANE!!!" - and then dad goes "oh yeah, that is an airplane."
Chuckie Cheese was fun, but insanely loud! We ended up losing Dad for a bit, only to find that the sensory overload forced him to abandon ship and head over to the mall. By the time he returned Mom, Josh, Brittany, and I looked like we had just finished running a marathon; while we gathered everyone up, we passed Ashlin to dad to hold, but with her not being so familiar with Dad, she started to flail around in his arms...I saw this taking place and went over to get her. She was fine with me - because I spent a lot of time with Ashlin on Friday night - and Dad says to me - sort of disgruntled - "She holds still for you!"
Finally, we were out of HE-double hockey sticks, but I HAD TO GO TO THE MALL! I don't think Dad had been in a store like Nordstroms before, so I found myself hysterically laughing at him as we walked through and headed to the escalator where a man in a tux was playing the piano...just watching Dad was so funny...he was staring around...and just kept asking if we wanted to go to Sears :)
At the mall, Mom and I ended up seperating from the rest of the group (WHEW!) and by the time we caught back up...Dad was resting on a couch after being kicked, where no man desires, by one of the girls...the look on his face was one of being beyond done; seeing that he was able to walk...I found myself laughing again...he had been through the ringer!
When we started the huge ordeal of piling everyone back in the car, Dad looks at me at says "And I missed the last day of hunting season for this..."
Once again I laughed and continued to laugh the entire way home as it was 100% reminiscent of our trip down earlier that day!
Thanks Dad ~ it is simply never the same without you!
PS - spellcheck is not working & I am far from perfect!!! :)
Friday, February 1, 2008
*The Cowardly Lion's tail was worked by a technicians on an overhead walkway.
I got this forward from my SC this AM and thought I'd post my response on here :)
1. WHAT TIME DID YOU GET UP THIS MORNING? 7:00a
2. DIAMONDS OR PEARLS? Both
3. WHAT IS THE LAST FILM THAT YOU SAW AT THE CINEMA? The Bucket List with mom and dad
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE TV SHOW? LOST, Project Runway, Criminal Minds, Rules of Engagement, LA Ink
5. WHAT DO YOU USUALLY HAVE FOR BREAKFAST? Bagel or toast and ALWAYS Coffee
6. WHAT IS YOUR MIDDLE NAME? Kristen
7. WHAT FOOD DO YOU DISLIKE? Bananas, but the weird thing is that I love Banana Nut Bread...the last I had was AMAZING! YUMMY!
8. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CD? Taylor Swift, Joshua Radin, Angels and Airwaves
9. WHAT KIND OF CAR DO YOU DRIVE? 2007 Acura TL; love it - just love it!
10. FAVORITE SANDWICH? Chicken Frontega from Panera or any GRILLED CHEESE
11. WHAT CHARACTERISTIC(S) DO YOU DESPISE? LACK OF COMMUNICATION (kills it every time), self-absorption, sneakiness, missing eye-contact
12. FAVORITE ITEM(S) OF CLOTHING? Ugg Boots, flip flops, sweats, shorts and tee
13. IF YOU COULD GO ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD ON VACATION, WHERE WOULD YOU GO? Anywhere with a beautiful beach and blue ocean, but I’d love to see Fiji 14. WHAT COLOR IS YOUR BATHROOM? The fun one is a pumpkin color
15. FAVORITE BRAND OF CLOTHING? Victoria’s Secret, Citizen, Free People, and TARGET Mossimo, JCrew, Anthropologie
16. WHERE WOULD YOU RETIRE TO? The beach - hands down - no question about it
17. WHAT WAS YOUR MOST MEMORABLE BIRTHDAY? I'd like to believe that is still to come :)
18. FAVORITE SPORT TO WATCH? Football; this past season definitely converted me over to the dark side, but not every game on SUNDAY’s – SERIOUSLY give me a break! Go Hokies and Skins!
19. FURTHEST PLACE YOU ARE SENDING THIS? Posting it on my Blog…
20. WHO DO YOU LEAST EXPECT TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU? Post it bloggers!
21. PERSON YOU EXPECT TO SEND IT BACK FIRST?????
22. FAVORITE SAYING? “I mean” "SERIOUSLY" "Clearly"
23. WHEN IS YOUR BIRTHDAY? October 14th; I'm a LIBRA
24. ARE YOU A MORNING OR NIGHT PERSON? The morning after coffee, in the late afternoon I get a little kooky, or in the evening snuggling with Bailee
25. WHAT IS YOUR SHOE SIZE? 8-8.5
26. PETS? The Baliee Boo Doodle boy!
27. ANY NEW/EXCITING NEWS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH US? Um…not really…not yet anyway!
28. WHAT DID YOU WANT TO BE WHEN YOU WERE LITTLE? A doctor, an astronaut…ah to dream! This was before I knew what CHEMISTRY was!
29. HOW ARE YOU TODAY? I’m wonderful…a little tired…
30. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CANDY? Whoppers, or anything that has peanut butter and chocolate combined!
31. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE FLOWER? All flowers are beautiful recognitions of creation
32. WHAT IS A DAY ON THE CALENDAR YOU ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO? Today…
33. WHAT IS YOUR FULL NAME? Amy Kristen Watts
34. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? Joshua Radin @ my desk…just so sweet
35. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE? A cinnamon raisin bagel with butter…mmm
36. DO YOU WISH ON STARS? Sometimes…I love to look up at the night sky in the country…
37. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? Most days I’d be Hot Pink at times sky blue...
39. FAVORITE SOFT DRINK? I love CHERRY COKE, but I usually go for Diet Coke with lemon or lime
40. FAVORITE RESTAURANT? This Italian joint in Ashburn has the BEST pasta dish, but I like Magnolia’s and Sweet Water…Siam Classic for Thai
41. SIBLINGS? A younger brother, Josh 22 months apart
42. FAVORITE DAY OF THE YEAR? Everyday is a blessing…each and every one!
43. WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE TOY AS A CHILD? I can’t recall exactly…I loved my dolls
44. SUMMER OR WINTER? Absolutely summer; I love the warmth on my skin. The winter when it snows and I can sit by the fire in my PJ’s all day.
45. HUGS OR KISSES? Both and lots of them please!
46. COFFEE OR TEA? Coffee
47. CHOCOLATE OR VANILLA? Chocolate
48. DO YOU WANT YOUR FRIENDS TO EMAIL YOU BACK? Sure! firstname.lastname@example.org
49. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED? Um, Friday two weeks ago…Thank goodness for my BFF! What on earth would I do?
50. WHAT IS UNDER YOUR BED? The carpet (haha)
51. WHAT DID YOU DO LAST NIGHT? Went to class (BIOMEDICAL ETHICS – OMG!), watched LOST, talked to a friend :)
52. FAVORITE SMELL? Aliyah’s hair, the ocean, Baliee’s belly, fresh mountain air, clean sheets
53. WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF? Losing someone close to me…not finding love
54. SALTY OR SWEET? Both, but best together
55. HOW MANY KEYS ON YOUR RING(S)? Only one at the moment & it isn’t even mine!
56. HOW MANY YEARS AT YOUR CURRENT JOB? 2 years 3 months
57. FAVORITE DAY OF THE WEEK? Saturday's ROCK, sleeping in on Sunday mornings...every other Friday
58. HOW MANY TOWNS HAVE YOU LIVED IN? 6, but none too interesting!
59. DO YOU MAKE FRIENDS EASILY? Yes, I'd like to think so, but I am selective…
60. HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL YOU SEND THIS TO? Posting it
61. HOW MANY WILL RESPOND? Not sure...