Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I just want to go to the BEACH!

When did it become so difficult to plan a family vacation? For the last two summers my family has gone to Emerald Isle in August & as we learned last year - you have to be quick to book or you'll end up with everyone's leftovers...still very nice places, but you may have to sacrifice an amenity or two.


The first year I did really well with booking...the house was plenty big enough & it had it's own pool...everyone was happy or so I like to believe...


Last year, I seemingly let my brother down with the house I booked (I do want to point out that it was probably May before I could get my family to commit to a week - for many reasons). The house was a bit smaller, it was a duplex, and it had no pool...why do you need your own private pool when at the beach you ask? DON'T GET ME STARTED :) Josh complained A LOT to put it mildly and I promised myself that we would book very early for 2008 in an effort to please him.




So I started off this year - uh - about two-three weeks ago with the search & it seems that I created an issue myself. I found a bunch of houses in the community we like. Many of which were considerably larger, had a pool, a hot tub, a pool table OR SOMETHING that would tickle Josh's fancy...



Now here is the clincher...I found a house that at the time i.e. three weeks ago, was available and did allow PETS...I sent the email to my mom with all of the houses & it still took my parents and brother a bit to get back to me...I ask, I remind...everyone is busy...



My DAD catches wind that one of the houses allows PETS and the decision was made - that was the house...FORGET THE POOL JOSH! You see, we had to board the dogs last summer and they truly are dads best friends and he was so beside himself worrying over them all week...it was sweet & I have to add that I think everyone knows how obsessed I am with Bailee!



ANYWAY, so when I go to book the house that allows pets...it is no longer available! My mom kindly tells me last night that if we don't find a house that allows pets - dad is probably not going to the beach (more than likely he is OK with this - he is not a big beach fan, BUT I sincerely want him there)! Had he not known of the possibility of taking the dogs - this may all be different...



I am close to my wits end trying to find something, BUT there is a glimmer of hope - a house with a pool that allows pets, but the dates conflict with a race that is honoring my cousin who passed in a mining accident last August...so stay tuned...I think this entry is now LONG enough :)


As soon as it is booked I'm adding one of the fun countdown to vacation things on here...I so need a break!

4 comments:

Melis B said...

I totally know what's it's like to try and make everyone happy. I hope you find something soon. They sure go fast!!

Best of luck! :)

Hugs,
Melis

Anonymous said...

If you need a break, come to sunny london to visit! hehe

but seriously, come visit!!

xoxo melissa s

Amanda said...

Oh, its tough trying to make everyone happy no matter who is with you (your kids, husband, in-laws, etc). My husband always "lets" me plain the vacation and everytime there is something he dosen't like, he tells me. Then my response is, well then you can plan the next vacation. He becomes instantly silent. Its very frustrating when something like a vacation should be fun and carefree and then you are the one who is stressed the whole time. Oh, I feel your pain. Well good luck!

Michael B said...

can't wait to go the beach either! i just hope that we can figure out the same week again this year....

love you lots. let me know which house you picked and when...

kate